The Transition Between Rehabilitation And General Life
It is more difficult remaining abstinent for long even after doing a great work to reach the level of abstinence. Identifying new activities to do will help a person keep away from the drugs.
In a controlled and supervised rehab centre, it is relatively easier to stay clean and get well.
The environment in these facilities is one that can help a person stop the use or even the urge of taking drugs.
Moving on from rehab can bring along several new challenges when an effort is made to learn how to navigate an absolutely fresh and a sober lifestyle and this is although the individual could be overcome by excitement because of the movement.
Being able to recognize your stressors or triggers proves very helpful in maintaining status quo. Abstinence maintenance is made less difficult by this fact.
Handling The Desires To Use When Out Of Rehab
Getting back to normal life after staying in a protected, controlled environment is not easy.
Once you are back in the real world, time and again triggers and situations that pushed you toward the path of addiction might confront you again.
Company of old acquaintances, being in the midst of old surroundings, and specific emotions might lure you into reaching out for the substance to which you were earlier addicted to.
In order to prevent and deal with promoters of relapse after rehabilitation, the following can be done
- Finding A Solid Support System
- Those that have been able to maintain abstinence for a long time and also want you to do the same, are individuals you should be socialising with.
- Ensure you are part of a local support group on whom you can count for help.
- Make Positive Changes To Your Lifestyle
- Tell your family or friends to help relocate stuffs that can serve as initiators to relapse.
- Any situation that would want to make you reuse must be evaded.
- Set Objectives For Your Future
- Having a plan for your life can be instrumental in helping you stay clean.
- It will be easier for you to remain on track when you have understood the reasons why you want to stay composed along with all the benefits the sobriety can bring into your life.
- Never Miss Your Follow Up Appointments
- Make sure that you continue going for counselling even after you have left the rehab.
- At times, you might want to miss the appointments or handle your affairs on your own, but staying clean is easier when there are professionals giving you support.
- Appreciation at every time.
- It greatly helps to pay attention and be thankful even to the smallest positive things that you have.
- Five circumstances that bring joy and satisfaction should be documented every passing day.
- Replace Bad Habits With New Better Ones
- The change of lifestyle can take sometime to fully get the groove of it but it's all worth it in the end.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Engage With Positive Recreational Activities Or Pastimes
You will experience success in withdrawing from the drugs if you engage in new hobbies.
There are a lot of fun and interesting things to do nowadays that do not involve drugs or alcohol.
You can get in touch with us on 0800 246 1509 if you require more help on stopping the use of alcohol or overcoming it after leaving the rehab.
Given below are a few examples providing you healthy methods to keep your mind occupied during the transition from rehab
- Developing a hobby on crafts or art
- Join online classes
- Study new cultures and linguistics
- Volunteering for community work
Join Social Groups For A Support Feeling
Seek for the nearest available support organization in your area and take advantage of the services offered. Surround yourselves with these encouraging individuals by joining a support group, attending sessions of counselling and participating in activities, which allow you to meet other people.
The 12 stages programs, counselling sessions and Narcotics Anonymous are some of the support groups that you can join today.
The Possibility Of Going Out Without Relapsing
If you've achieved sobriety only recently, staying away from places where you might be tempted to drink is the best policy. Replacing old habits can take time and that's why people who have just achieved sobriety find it much harder to resist temptation.
However, there can be situations when some type of alcohol use will become inevitable [like for example a family holiday party] and they are certain steps which you can take that can ease the situation for you.
What to do to resist urges in social gatherings
- Make sure you are there with a friend that neither use nor drink and be in company of dependable people.
- If you get the urge to drink, you can use a drink that is not alcoholic.
- You can also spend as little time as possible in the gatherings where alcohol is available.
- In cases where you find the urges to grow stronger, it is best to leave and find a sober place.
Why It Is Necessary To Get Sober And Remain That Way
Your health improves in more than one ways when you stay clean; your liver and heart start functioning more effectively and you sleep better. Embarking on a sober life is definitely worth the difficulty and the reasons go far beyond the physical benefits which will become attainable. These include
- Making new and sober friends
- Enjoying your financial wealth
- Enjoyment of living
- Always having a high life esteem
- Dressing nice and smart
- Serving as a positive source of inspiration and energy for other people who are currently battling addiction
It is challenging to withdraw from the use of alcohol. Don't expect a bump-free ride to recovery; you will have to work hard continuously. The will to be sober will help you in the recovery process in the long run even when it is a challenging process.
Every journey always begins with a small step in the right direction. When you begin to feel the temptations to revert back to your old habits, you must make an effort to remember why you wanted to achieve sobriety in the first place.