What Will Happen To The People I Care About
Being worried about your children, spouse, or pets while you're in treatment is normal, but there are many ways to make sure they're being cared for while you are in rehab.
Addict's family is one of the main worries they face when they require a treatment; they are concerned about their financial security, where they will live and if they can contact them once they get into treatment.
Knowing the options to overcome these problems will enable you to make the best choice for you and your loved ones.
Your family will receive the best loving attention while away by making good plans for them and seeking the assistance of other people before embarking on the recovery program.
- Who will look after my children while I am in rehab?
- Suppose I have no relative to take care of them, what next?
- Are there other options?
- Can my family pay me a visit there?
- How will I meet financial obligations when in treatment?
- How do I speak to my child regarding going to therapy?
- What happens to my pet when I go to a treatment centre?
- How can I stay in touch with my loved ones while in rehab?
- How can I obtain treatment straight away?
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Child Care Alternatives For People In Therapy
When you're a guardian highly considering therapy, getting a dependable caregiver for your children can be very tricky. There are, however, many alternatives to make sure your child is safe and sound while you are in a rehab.
The preferred alternative is usually a person with which your kid is comfortable and familiar with, a person close to you and your loved ones.
Get in touch with us now on 0800 246 1509 and find the treatment you need.
Most of the guardians in treatment request for assistance from their
- Their parents
- Brothers and Sisters
- Your intimate friends
You can put them in the custody of reputable child care during the day if your friends and family have work or school to attend to. Child care is offered at some treatment centres or they can help connect you to child care services in your area.
Single parents are sometimes allowed to stay with their children in some treatment facilities. Programs like this can treat the child for any mental health issues they might have as well as the parent's addiction.
Call us now and we'll help you find a rehab that will let your child stay with you.
Your Children And Telling Them About Rehab
Communicating to your children about why you need to go into rehab and your addiction is very important. This will help them in understanding and dealing with your absence. It will also ensure that they do not think they are to blame for anything.
Some factors to consider when communicating to your kids are
- Get informed about addiction and rehabilitation.
- Discussing with your children will become easy, depending on the level of your understanding of the two issues.
- Talk in age suitable language they will comprehend.
- Avoid using technical terms and medical jargon.
- Before you talk to your children, make sure the timing is right.
- Create a quiet environment with few distractions.
- Accept their feelings and the consequences of your addiction on their lives.
- Apologize if you've tormented them.
- Answer their questions and be straight with them.
- Ensure you insist that your difficulty is not their blame and they are not capable to control your character.
"Seven Cs" have been created by the National Association for Children of Alcoholics help children learn how to cope with drug or alcohol abuse of their parents. Kids are urged to remember the "Seven Cs" to remind them that they're not the source of the difficulty. How to deal with their parent's abuse of drugs is also taught by the principle.
Your Child Should Learn The Seven Cs
- I am not the cause
- I can't cure it
- I cannot control it
- I am able to care better for myself
- By communicating my feelings
- Making health conscious choices, and
- Celebrating me
Government And Non-Profit Child Care Solutions
You have some alternatives if your friends and family can't take care of your kids. Safe Families for Children is an NGO that can handle that responsibility. If parents are unable to care for them, organizations like these will help find temporary homes for children. The safety of your kids is guarantee because the organization confirms the trustworthiness of the families that support them. This arrangement will help the biological parent keep custody of their children during and after the process of treatment.
In your neighbourhood, you may find certified caregivers if the NGOs do not satisfy you. This should be the last choice.
Placing your child in foster care requires you to sign a VPA or Voluntary Placement Agreement. This means you agree to transfer custody and the well being of your child to the Department of Human Services temporarily. You could be required to pay child support on a monthly basis.
This is an understandably scary option, but it is there should you need it. You only need to remain committed to the VPA terms and present yourself for court hearings as required. You need to keep in mind that the greatest thing you can do for your kid and yourself is to beat your addiction.
Options For Pet Care Whilst In Rehab
Pets in many homes are important members of the family. People with pets, similar to those with kids, frequently have problems finding a proper caretaker. There are many alternatives for you if you can't find a person to look after your pet while you are in treatment.
Long-term boarding is present at many of the boarding amenities, though very long stays can be really costly. Getting a sitter for your pet may be an affordable alternative especially for pets that need little care such as fish, cats or rodents. The pet sitter will be coming to your house on specific days each week to provide the necessary care for your pet. Others will go to the extent of letting your pets live with them till you come back. This is very suitable for dogs and other animals that require great care.
Make sure you provide detailed instructions, contact information for your vet, and your pets relevant medical records for someone caring for your pet while you are in treatment. Let your vet know that someone else is caring for your animal temporarily.
In case you cannot consider the option of separating from your pet, you will need to find a treatment facility that permits patients to check in with their pets. Rehab centres who allow this are still uncommon despite the fact that many people are. You may be forced to go to another city or state to get a program. However, you will probably be able to find a facility that lets pet visit you if you are not able to find one that will let them stay with you.
Visitation With Loved Ones During Treatment
A lot of programs thing that support from your friends and family is significant for your treatment and think of them as a crucial part of your rehabilitation plan.
For the first 3 to 7 days after you arrive at the centre, you are not allowed to contact or discuss with anybody as a way of helping you get used to the new environment.
Immediately the first waiting duration is over, many treatment centres provide visitation hours.
There are plans that accept daily visitation at free time, while others give weekly or monthly visitation. Each rehab will have its own duration of visitation time.
Adding your visitors to a list may be necessary after a counsellor agrees to their visits. View your centres' regulations to make sure that your loved ones match the essential demands for visitation.
Conversing With Your Loved Ones From Rehabilitation
While you are in treatment you can talk with your friends and family in a few ways. Programs are different but many of them will allow the use of phones and email or internet during specific times. You are also able to send and receive letters.
Some places will even allow you to receive care packages from your loved ones. Staff will probably check any care packages for safety reasons. Confirm with your therapy's management to know which items are disallowed in care parcels.
You might also find a facility that allows family therapy. Your family may be suffering from reliance on drugs too. These sessions will help everyone heal by acknowledging everyone's feelings.
Your Family Getting Financial Help During Treatment
If your family loses your income while you're in rehab, the cost can be an especially hard financial weight to bear. Here are a few ways to lessen money problems down the road
- Use your paid time off that you have left, as well as sick leave days after a discussion with your boss.
- That way you can still be paid for a part of for all of the time spent in rehab if you have saved a sufficient number of these days.
- Request your loved one, (friends and family) for help.
- You will be surprised by the number of people who are ok with making a contribution towards the cost of treatment and sustaining your family financially as you go through treatment.
- Your health insurance firm might be prepared to pay for a portion of your rehab expenses, so you need to check that.
- Medicare or Medicaid along with the Affordable Care Act provide options which contribute to addiction treatment expenses.
- Your employer may have some programs that cover people who are incapacitated by one health problem or the other, inquire from your boss whether such exists and if the scope includes rehab from alcohol and drugs.
- You might be able to decrease total expenses with these solutions.
- You could also find out if the rehab centre allows for financing and different forms of payment plans that can make the cost more manageable.
Should you find that your family is falling behind on payments while you are being treated, call your creditors and request extensions or a change in dates when payments are due. Most people understand addiction and will support the steps you are taking to get sober and will be happy to work alongside you.
Addiction Treatment Is The Best Solution For Your Family And You
Having concerns about going into treatment and leaving your family behind is completely normal. Mostly everyone going into rehab shares these same feelings. But it's important to get the help you need and not to let these concerns dissuade you. At long last, your sobriety will be the greatest alternative for you and your loved ones.
don't misuse another moment of you or their lives on dependence.